Saturday, 24 October 2015
Avocado-Cherry Tomato Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
• 4 firm-ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved crosswise
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
• 1/4 cup Lime Vinaigrette (See recipe below.)
• Coarse salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine avocados, tomatoes, pine nuts and vinaigrette. Toss gently, taking care not to smash the pieces of avocado—you are not making guacamole!
2. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Serve chilled. Makes 4 cups.
A sweet tangy blend of lime, honey and cilantro, this versatile Lime Vinaigrette lends pizzazz to a salad, or makes a great basic marinade for fish or chicken.
• Juice of 2 to 3 limes, (about 1/4 cup)
• 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2/3 cup canola oil
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. In a blender, combine lime juice, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend on medium speed for a few seconds, and then reduce the speed to low.
2. With the motor running, slowly add the oil until emulsified. Pour into a container or jar and mix in cilantro.
3. Keep any left-over vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 1 cup.